Thursday, June 26, 2008

An Announcement

It's funny the things we remember. Take the entire 13th year of my life. I remember some stuff that happened year, like starting high school and being tormented and bullied by all the beautiful, rich popular kids. But I don't think I remember any specific, word for word utterances spoken by anyone that year except for one. And I'm afraid it's nothing terribly poignant or deep. But I did remember it. Are you ready? Okay, here it is.

No wait. First, let me set the stage. (I mean it is the only quote I remember word for word from that whole year so I think at least a stage should be set.) It was a hot, partly cloudy afternoon. The kind of afternoon a pretty white pony trots up to a handsome blonde boy on holiday and gives him a carrot. I was playing, no hanging out, no playing - I always get so confused when I think about my life at this age. For instance this was about the time I transitioned from playing with my friends, to hangin out. There was a brief window in there of about two and a half months when my friends and I messed around, but not long into this stage something clicked and I finally figured out what Jack meant when he would (constantly!) ask Chrissy if she wanted to mess around. And my buddies and I were definitely not messin around. Mr. Roper was so clueless.

So my friend and I were hangin out. We were doing something athletic, I don't remember what. But we were hot, sweaty, and thirsty. I went into my kitchen to grab a glass of water, and asked my friend if he would like some. And he said, (this is it) "No, I want soda. Water doesn't quench my thirst."

I tried to act like I'd heard it all before, but inside  was reeling. After I gained my composure which know one knew I had lost, I questioned him about his stunningly absurd statement. He went on to do his very best to convince me that it has always been this way with him, that water had never quenched his thirst, and I finally capitulated. I took him at his word. But I remembered. I made a vow to myself that I would never forget his assertion - not a conscious vow mind you - it must have been an unconscious vow because I haven't kept any vows I've ever made before the age of 33.  Nonetheless I obviously kept that vow, because that's the kind of man I am, when I don't know I've made a vow.

So what is the announcement?

To be continued.....(Hint - it pertains to something that is wet, and rhymes with "Prague-law," kind of)

*Editors Note: I am pleased to report, that in the ensuing years this individual, quite on his own, was able to fully and completely reconcile...nay embrace water, and now lives a satisfyingly hydrated and happy life with his family in a Washington D.C. suburb. 

1 comment:

Emily and Ethan said...

I was so concerned that your friend was was living off of soda!! I can't wait to hear the rest. I hope you post a picture of your poker get up!